Friday, June 28, 2013

Mood Rings...mine was always black

So, yes, full disclosure...I, too, had a mood ring in the 1970s, back when everyone had a mood ring. I may never have owned another ring until I got married 20 years later, but I had one of those Mood rings, as you might recall, changed colors supposedly to reflect your mood, but really to reflect the temperature of your hands. Then as now, mine were always cold, and so I was in a foul mood, all the time, according to the ring.

Which is actually sort of how I remember the 1970s.

Now there's a band named after these things, and they're not too bad.




VPI Harmony

Mood Rings

Mexican Summer

BY JENNIFER KELLY



Mood Rings, a five-piece out of Atlanta, concocts airy, dreamy, wholly imaginary landscapes out reverbed guitar, synthesizer and blur-edged vocals. Though sometimes tagged with the “shoegazer” label, the band lands at the very softest end of that spectrum, nearer Slowdive than Ride and far distant from the gauze-overlaid roar of My Bloody Valentine. But really, Mood Rings sounds more like last year’s slacker pop (Real Estate, Wild Nothing) or chillwave (Washed Out) than anything historical. These are whispery, wispy bits of romantic melancholia, the fey vulnerability of the vocals backed by surging crescendos of guitar and synthesizer.

More

No comments: