Friday, April 8, 2011

Wild Billy Childish and the Blackhands

I picked up Wild Billy Childish and the Blackhands Play: Capt'n Calypso's Hoodoo Party a few weeks ago, and it's a bundle of total insanity. If you are familiar with Childish's brand of intellectually-rigorous primitivism (yeah, he's really smart and plays really simple, early-rock songs, that's what I mean), this is different. It's from 1988 and consists mostly of calypso covers of an odd assortment of songs, all knocked on their asses, robbed at knife point and left bleeding in the alley. It's on the Damaged Goods label...I wish I could find the liner notes because there was some very funny stuff about one of the players ending up at the wrong house on the wrong day at the wrong time and nonetheless pounding on the door for hours...but alas, my office is a mess and I may have given this to my husband anyway.

Here's one of the weirder covers, one, incidentally, that you might expect to be able to stand up for itself...it's "Anarchy in the U.K." Hah!

No comments: