Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Let's Wrestle

The bristly, guitar-strummy punk-pop of Let's Wrestle is always half a shade darker than it seems, its staccato tune-ful-ness wrapped around songs about alienation, loneliness and (sometimes) end-of-life care. The band's second full-length, recorded with Steve Albini, is called Nursing Home, and it's super fun in an antsy, abrasive, aggressively sardonic way.

Merge is offering "Dear John" as the free mp3.


The album's out May 17th.

I reviewed Let's Wrestle's first album for Dusted a year or two ago. You can read about that here if you want.

Some interesting things have been happening. Out of the blue, I got an invitation to write a one-sheet for a band on Sub Pop, and that worked out pretty well, if quickly and over Easter weekend. (I don't know what the rules are, so I'm not going to say who it was, other than that it's a kind of flying mammal...)

Also had a visit from my parents, who at 78 and 79, travelled 800 miles to see my son, Sean, in My Fair Lady. He was brilliant, by the way, my son. Everyone said so, not just his mom. He played Alfie Doolittle and had two of the show's best songs, "Little Bit of Luck" and "Get Me To the Church On Time." There's a page of photos and an essay he wrote about acting at the theater's website here, if you're curious.

Also, I've been elected a library trustee in my town, which seems bizarrely responsible and adult. (I ran unopposed. No one else wanted to do it, but still...)

So pretty busy, but not necessarily on music stuff. Hope you're all well.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Hey, congratulations to you and Sean! He's a hell of a lot more articulate than I was at 15, that's for sure.

jenniferpkelly said...

Oh thanks, Ian, it's nice of you to say that. sean's a really good guy. I think I'd like him a lot even if I wasn't his mom. Though that doesn'tean I don't worry about him.