Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Also, some reaction to my mid-year

Yeah, so I was reading ILX again, and people are really hating my list and my year-end wrap-up, which is fine, whatever. You can read about it here, though you'll have to page down to about December 14 if you don't want to read the whole thread.

I don't post on ILX, but I do have a couple of responses.

First, the main reason I spent all the time talking about the consensus was that it seemed pretty awful and that it's always awful, every year, and that I never care a rat's ass about the top ten records that end up on it. I didn't actually vote for the Animal Collective last year or include it on my list. Enough people completely missed the point of that, that I think probably I must have written it badly.

Second, I have heard Kanye now, though I hadn't when I wrote the list. I like parts of it and dislike others. I'm not sure it would have made my top 20. In any case, I've always felt weird about putting rap records on my list, because I only listen to a few of them, and even if I like them, I'm not sure I have the context to judge them. There are plenty of people listening to these records. I don't think they need me.

Also, in terms of the number of records I've listened to, I review probably 4 records a week all year long, which is 200, plus some interviews, maybe another 10-20, and then listen to one or two songs on a bunch more. It's true that some people listen to more records, but a lot of people listen to less, too.

And finally, I don't think I'm very standard indie. If I were I'd have Arcade Fire and the National and Vampire Weekend and all kinds of crap on my list, and I don't.

So anyway, that's that.

6 comments:

Ian said...

"In any case, I've always felt weird about putting rap records on my list, because I only listen to a few of them, and even if I like them, I'm not sure I have the context to judge them. There are plenty of people listening to these records. I don't think they need me."

This. A thousand times this.

Meatbreak said...

I second Ian on that (hi Ian, btw, How's things? Really long time no speak!). I listened to the kanye album today and it's pretty cool, but i's too late and too isolated for me to really bother including.

I'm going to read some of this hate, but I really like your list. I'm slightly surprised there hadn't been more appearences for Jack Rose (and James Blackshaw), but I guess that's becasue their music is so tradional it maybe transcends or excludes itself from these lists.

Working on my list as we speak, hope to be doen before Christmas. It's turning out to be quite metal heavy, which is surprising me but that's the way it's shuffling itself down.

jenniferpkelly said...

Thanks guys. Jack Rose is doing quite well over at Dusted, BTW.

Although I guess, since he's on my list, he's just more indie rock.

Also Mavis Staples. Also Rangda.

If my point was that the consensus does not arise naturally out of the strength of the big records (which I thought it was), this only confirms that the consensus has to be reinforced, and fairly strenuously,by the people who care about it.

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

Wow, how dare you have some favorites that aren't everyone else's favorites. I guess I forget every year that list-making has to be so damn competitive.

Ian said...

It's Meatbreak! Hey man, how are things? I am extra-shit at email these days, but let me know when/where your list is up; I thought the Onion AV Club's metal list was pretty intriguing (and wound up buying that Agalloch album, with more on my list to check out) so I'm interested in your take.

I think Jenny's point (as rearticulated in the comments here) is a very good one. Consensus about art sucks, it's always sucked, and it has to suck by it's very nature, and it's always amazed me that people feel a need to defend it. It's not about whether I (for example) genuinely love that National record (and I do), it's about the fact that putting together the opinion of dozens of people or more strains out anything interesting. Consensus isn't about strangth, it's about broad acceptance.

jenniferpkelly said...

I forgot that you really liked that National album, Ian.

I don't have any problem with people liking it, or Arcade Fire or whatever, just with people feeling like they *have* to like things, just because everyone else does. Or with people who really, really like something, but won't admit it because it's not big or important enough. And, as you see, people will make fun of you for it.

Part of me is just pleased that anyone noticed, the other is pissed about the insinuation that I don't listen to enough records. (Because that would somehow lead me to choosing the same ten records as everyone else? I don't really get that.)

I would totally listen to more music if I didn't have to sleep and take showers sometimes.