Monday, December 22, 2008

Blurt Digizine

I’ve never had the bandwidth to check this out before (it’s 90 KBs), but Blurt does a digital magazine now that looks very much like the old Harp. It’s just that you have to print it out on your own paper.

Anyway, I have reviews of Christina Carter’s Original Darkness and Chris Brokaw’s Canaris, both very fine, in the current issue, as well as a short interview with the Wild Beasts.

Download the whole thing here:


Also, I’m not crazy about holiday music, except when it’s played on pipe organs and sung by boys whose voices haven’t changed yet, but 65 Days of Static has graced us with one called “I’m Dreaming of a White Noise Christmas.


The combination of less to say (everything’s closed down now until 2009), Christmas and travel probably means that I’ll be posting infrequently for a while…have a nice holiday everyone!

7 comments:

Syd The Squid said...

65 Days of Static fucking rock.

have you seen them live?... if not, make it a priority for 2009... no matter what it takes!!!

jenniferpkelly said...

I think I did see them at CMJ a couple of years ago...but maybe I should try again and be sober this time.

Christgau thinks I'm too old for "hanging around in clubs." I think I'm the perfect age, because I've become invisible and no one bothers me anymore.

Syd The Squid said...

one is never too old to be ejected by bouncers from a club... as i well know...

Ian said...

Merry whatever-you-happen-to-celebrate!

What on earth was the context of Christgau telling you that? He once told a friend of mine from Stylus that he was too young to understand despair, "unless you're gay." My friend is gay, which seemed to nonplus Christgau a bit.

I admit, I haven't been able to get into that Christina Carter record yet.

jenniferpkelly said...

The context, let's see. I guess that I mentioned the year I graduated from college (Christgau went to the same school as me), so he knew how old I was, plus, from that Idolator interview, that I was a fairly unsuccessful music writer...and put two and two together. I told him that I was getting too old for almost everything, but that I'm giving up the fun stuff last.

You have a nice holiday, too, Ian...and Michael, someday, we will have to get thrown out of a club together. That would be one for the scrapbook.

Syd The Squid said...

date then!... XXX

Ian said...

I meant more, when/how were you talking to the guy in the first place - it seems like most American critics I know have at some point, which continues to amuse me. And which Idolator interview are we talking about?