Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Time is round and space is curved

You could do a lot worse than spending a week with Robyn Hitchcock's new best-of collection, Chronology...which is what I've been doing. My review runs at Blurt this morning, but there's actually not much to say about this, except it's a good listen, a reasonable entry point and an excellent, manageably-sized reminder.

I wrote, "There are no real surprises here, nothing new for the devoted fan to chew on. Still pretty much every track is a winner, from the opening salvos of punkish "I Want to Destroy You" through the spare melancholy of acoustic "Queen Elvis" through the shadowy, charcoal smudged mysteries of "Goodnight Oslo." Look at Chronolology as the world's oddest Whitman's box sampler. Choose any one of these truffles of eccentricity and bite down. You can hardly go wrong."

The rest

2 comments:

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

I still might buy this, but I'm glad you reviewed it. I stil lcan't believe that it's just sixteen tracks. I've got those two wonderful box sets so I might not be missing out, though.

jenniferpkelly said...

If you've got the box sets, you probably don't need this. If's just sort of portable and compact and fun.