Thursday, November 17, 2011

Shocker: I love the new Bats

Yeah, I gave it all away in the title didn't I? After about half a lifetime of really enjoying the Bats, I am, unsurprising, quite taken with the eighth and newest album, which is called Free All the Monsters.

Here is my favorite paragraph from a review up at Dusted today, in which I fumble to explain why my favorite part of the album (which is not going to be everyone's favorite part) is so great. All together now..."Hey-ey-ey-ey-aye."

"You could spend a lot of time unearthing middle age insecurities in Free All the Monsters’s lyrics, the simple things that no longer satisfy, the days that drag on, the years that fly by. It’s all there, observed obliquely but accurately, and without self-pity. Still, I have to admit that my favorite line is the “hey-ey-ey-ey-aye” that brackets each verse of “Fingers of Dawn.” There’s a warmth and assurance in these meaningless syllables, a serenity that transcends any linear narrative. The song is about waking up from a dream, relinquishing an imaginary haven and coming to terms again with ordinary life. It’s an unpleasant process, this daily rebirth and reorientation, but I like to think of the “hey-ey-ey-ey-aye” refrain as the sunlight streaming through the window, making another day of the quotidian struggle possible, even somewhat attractive."

What, you still want to read the rest of the review? Inexplicable.

Here's an official video for "In the Subway," which raises the question, "Are there subways in Dunedin?" Who knew?


In other breaking news, I am also totally loving Ersatz G.B., the 900th (or is it 901st?) album from Mark E. Smith & Co. (Did I mention that I hung up on his wife once? No? Hah, get me drunk and I'll tell you about it.)

6 comments:

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

I don't think I've actually heard any Bats songs - I didn't even know until now that there was a new album out - so your review was very helpful. Precise description of anything is a good recommendation in my book, but you made the album (music and subject matter alike) sound rather enticing. Good to know that the new Fall album is also worth it!

jenniferpkelly said...

You probably were to young to remember the Bats' early 1990s major label push...I think they might have been on Warner for an album or two. Anyway, they're one of those New Zealand lo-fi, jangle-pop outfits, really good, extremely consistent. Scott plays bass in the Clean, too.

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

That is before my time, yes. I have listened to the Clean. And solo David Kilgour, of course.

jenniferpkelly said...

I do love the Bats, but I think most people think the Clean is the better band. The other member of the triumvirate is the Chills...whose "Pink Frost" is somewhere in my top ten all time favorite songs.

fgafdgdfg said...

Jean-Luc, I would start with Daddy's Highway....by far the best Bats album. Jennifer, thanks for the heads up on the new album (and The Fall & Crystal Stilts).

jenniferpkelly said...

Silverbeet is a good one, too.