Thursday, April 22, 2010

Okay, that was interesting…

I’ve been stressing all week about the possibility of a Fall interview, which really looked like it wasn’t going to happen and then early this week, suddenly, like it was. What I’d asked for was Mark E. Smith, because …well, obviously, he is the Fall and everybody else is secondary. So it was kind of a shock when I picked up the phone today just after 11:30 and it was his wife Eleni, ready to do the interview. You can imagine, my whole list of questions was written for him, and none of them really worked for her. If I’d had time to think about it maybe some “What’s it like to be married to Mark E. Smith?” type questions would have popped up…you know, really getting into what he likes for dinner and whether he lets her have a crack at the crossword first…But as it happened, I muddled through a couple of questions, got some very bland and inoffensive answers and gave up.

So anyway, not as surreal as some Fall interviewing experiences, but strange enough.

I did have a little piece on the Low Anthem’s live show up yesterday at Blurt, so you’ll have to make do with that, I guess.

5 comments:

Syd The Squid said...

damn, so close!

Syd The Squid said...

could you hear him in the back ground at least?

jenniferpkelly said...

No, just her. Now I wish I hadn't spent all that time trying to get ready.

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

That really sucks. Didn't the publicist or whoever say which part of the Fall would be involved?

jenniferpkelly said...

Well, yes, she said Mark E. Smith.

I would never have done the interview otherwise.

I mean, I'm sure his wife is a nice lady and maybe whoever is playing bass and drums now are good folks, too, but it's not a Fall interview unless you talk to Mark E. Smith.