1. Watched Casablanca again, as wonderful as always, and realized that I am now significantly older than Bogie’s Rick, who seemed, last time I saw it, in college, to be the most adult of leading men…and of course, much, much older than Ingrid Bergmann at the time. Do anyone’s eyes shine the way that Rick and Ilsa’s do anymore? Would it even be appropriate to care that much these days?
2. Read Michael Lewis’ Panic, a collection of news stories and commentary on all the main stock market crashes since 1987, including the current one…got very nostalgic about the dot.com crash, with fond memories of showing up at Scient or Viant or someplace, dressed for Wall Street, with everyone else running around in flip flops. Of course, it couldn’t last…what were we thinking?
3. Ran 9 miles yesterday and (in a little bit, once my bagel settles) 10 today. Starting to feel really light and strong and…I don’t know, like the old days. Though of course I’m slower.
4. Finally bought The Eternal and, one listen in, am liking it very much. Also finally listened to DOOM’s Born Like This…still giggling over “Batty Boyz”, a very graphic description of gay Batman and Robin.
5. And, this afternoon, we’re all going to see Up. Rain, rain, rain…movies, movies, movies…
What are you guys doing this weekend?