Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cultcha this weekend

1. Watched Casablanca again, as wonderful as always, and realized that I am now significantly older than Bogie’s Rick, who seemed, last time I saw it, in college, to be the most adult of leading men…and of course, much, much older than Ingrid Bergmann at the time. Do anyone’s eyes shine the way that Rick and Ilsa’s do anymore? Would it even be appropriate to care that much these days?
2. Read Michael Lewis’ Panic, a collection of news stories and commentary on all the main stock market crashes since 1987, including the current one…got very nostalgic about the dot.com crash, with fond memories of showing up at Scient or Viant or someplace, dressed for Wall Street, with everyone else running around in flip flops. Of course, it couldn’t last…what were we thinking?
3. Ran 9 miles yesterday and (in a little bit, once my bagel settles) 10 today. Starting to feel really light and strong and…I don’t know, like the old days. Though of course I’m slower.
4. Finally bought The Eternal and, one listen in, am liking it very much. Also finally listened to DOOM’s Born Like This…still giggling over “Batty Boyz”, a very graphic description of gay Batman and Robin.
5. And, this afternoon, we’re all going to see Up. Rain, rain, rain…movies, movies, movies…

What are you guys doing this weekend?

9 comments:

Ian said...

Mostly convalescing (although I think I'm back to fighting shape now, slightly too late for it to do any good, but still), tearing through my "to listen to" folder (most of which so far has been good, but nothing I need to keep/hear again, you know), watching Six Feet Under, the usual. I've got trivia tonight, though, time to try winning a few more cases of beer.

As for Ilsa and Rick, I hate to quote the National at you, but "I think everything counts a little more than we think." It's never appropriate to care that much, and that's part of why it's always right to do so.

Syd The Squid said...

watched A Clockwork Orange again, finally got round to reading The Wind-Up Bird & working on a new song with Bendle... kind of wishing i was in Italy with Jackie-O... oh well...

jenniferpkelly said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Ian. Yes, maybe you're right about Casablanca...i do love that movie. I'm going to watch it again and not in another 20 years either.

And Michael, that's my absolute favorite book, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles...did you like it?

I saw Jackie O on the list for Primavera, nice to have someone else pay for your trip to Spain, I guess.

Syd The Squid said...

just started but enjoying... JOMF are gone for a month... which will end up being 6 weeks... i'm recording with them in August though...

francksauzee said...

Listened to Dan Deacon and Fuck Buttons for the first time and really liked both. I seem to be discovering things about two years after everyone else. Maybe one of you could send me a list of the other good things I've missed? That would be a great help.

jenniferpkelly said...

Hi, Simon...I think I missed the whole of 1995 (when Sean was born), so it's understandable if you're a little behind.

Which Deacon, Bromst or the one before that? I just gave Bromst away to one of the kids I know, because it seemed all right but kind of surface-y.

francksauzee said...

It was the one before that, the one with the Woody Woodpecker tune, which, I admit, isn't very deep. Good fun though and quite clever, I thought.

robp said...

Belated response, had very productive writing weekend (and Father's Day steak and potatoes cooked by Nate - yow! - then we watched a few episodes of Firefly, all excellent.)

Mainly I felt neglectful if I never got around to responding to a Bogart post - love Casablanca, among others, interesting how one actor got involved in moral statements in one film after another while essentially creating the anti-hero. Not that Bogie's characters were necessarily the exemplification of the moral standpoint - Treasure of the Sierra Madre, eh? - but that the films he chose presented those points.

jenniferpkelly said...

He's very moral in Casablanca...not immediately, he has to struggle with it, but by the end. Unlike say, Jimmy Stewart, who is moral just because that's how he is.

They're doing a game on flavorwire where you alter the name of a movie to make a drink and the best I could come up with was "the Pilsner of Sierra Madre."