Friday, February 14, 2014

Wow, it's been a while

So, today started with four album's worth of snow shovelling, a wet, heavy mess that couldn't be pushed or thrown very far and so took forever to remove from the driveway. We've woken up a number of times this winter, looked out the window and said, "Well, it could be worse," but this time, it was worse.

Anyway, that gave me some time to listen to stuff, and I am really enjoying New Electric Ride's Balloon, which is kind of a 1960s bubbly psych thing, reminds me of Pretty Things' "Baron Saturday", Dukes of Stratosphear's "25 O'Clock" and Pink Floyd's "Lucifer Sam." They are British and perhaps travel around in the bus on their album cover, but beyond that I know nothing.



Also listened to Angel Olsen's new one, which I like a lot, but have to write about, so I'm going to hold my fire...as well as a new improvisational thing with David Grubbs on it and JoyCut, which is an Italian band much enamored of synths and pounding rhythms.

I've been really, really busy lately, and have not had a lot of time to blog. It's starting to feel like the late 1990s again, which is good from a financial standpoint. We had a wonderful time in Chicago and felt that Sean has clearly grown and developed as an actor, even in the short time he's been there. He had some very out-there parts -- a schizophrenic, a POW and a sexually abusive father -- and I thought he did really well in going to the dark side without being cartoonish or overacting...as people often do. But I'm his mom, what do I know?

He also has a really lovely girlfriend now, per Facebook, and is making some really interesting progress on his summer work plans, which I am not supposed to talk about.

So that's that. I'll try to get back here more often.

No comments: