Sunday, May 20, 2012

Easter Island

Another recent acquisition, this languid, serene, shoe-gaze-referencing self-release from the Athens, Georgia-based Easter Island. I've listened to Frightened twice, going on three times, since putting it on my iPod yesterday and like it more every time...

So, why, that's the difficulty. I probably haven't thought it through sufficiently, but here are some random observations. There's a bit towards the end that sounds quite like the XX, and I think you can draw connections to Cocteau Twins and (possibly) My Bloody Valentine. Which is to say there's some lovely translucent guitar texture, some airy girl and boy vocals...and also a bit of roil and turmoil underneath. The sort of glistening, reverberating character of the guitars reminds me a little of Explosions in the Sky, a dreamy, driftiness recalls Experimental Aircraft, but there is also a good deal of electro pop. Anyway, check it out...I haven't totally processed it yet, but I like it very much.


2 comments:

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

Now this is really lovely! The rush at the end of "Hash" was fun. Their "Better Things" EP is pretty good, too. I'm glad you posted about the band.

jenniferpkelly said...

It's really pretty, isn't it?