Monday, April 2, 2012

Record shopping

Someone dumped a whole load of 4AD at the Turn It Up in Keene, NH, so while, really, the last thing in the world that I need is more CDs, I have bought a couple recently. The first is Treasure from the Cocteau Twins, whom I missed somehow when they were going on...I mean, I knew the name, but I couldn't remember a single song when I bought this and had to ask one of the guys who help me pick from the 5-6 Cocteau Twins CDs they had. It is very beautiful...most of you probably already know this...and also, doing this backwards, seems to have a real influence on a lot of the stuff coming out of the Vivian Girls camp...Frankie Rose, certainly, but also Dum Dum Girls and maybe La Sera.

Anyway, here's a live version of "Lorelei"


The other thing I bought was the Monochrome Set's double-disk Tomorrow Will Be Too Long from 1980 and 1981...which I played twice through last night and liked a whole lot.(It's long at 70 minutes, so you probably wouldn't listen to it twice, right away, unless you liked it quite a bit.)



Blurt has been on break for a couple of weeks, so I have not had very many reviews to post lately, but I'm still writing them, so hopefully that will correct itself soon.

4 comments:

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

[Bad pun here about how much I treasure 4AD vinyl] I bet Treasure sounds great on vinyl! Lucky you. I love Cocteau Twins, especially Heaven or Las Vegas. I hadn't thought of their influence on Frankie Rose et al. They're all over that Julia Holter album, too. I hadn't heard of Monochrome so that video was helpful.

jenniferpkelly said...

No, it's just a CD. I say "record" regardless of whether it's vinyl or not...probably wrong.

Monochrome Set is the rest of the B-Sides after one of them left to become Adam & the Ants.

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

I see now. At least now you have it. I didn't look into Monochrome further so I wasn't aware of the B-Sides or Adam Ant connections - interesting.

jenniferpkelly said...

Yeah it's fun.