Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Teenage Fanclub

It’s been a while since I’ve been this psyched about an interview, actually a set of interviews with the three main songwriters in Teenage Fanclub. My feature piece is up today at Blurt.

“Sometimes you wake up and you want to be Link Wray and other days you wake up and you want to be Burt Bacharach," says Norman Blake of Teenage Fanclub.

Blake is one of the band's three songwriters, the one who wrote "The Concept" and "Mellow Doubt," and he was wrestling with a question regarding the essentially cool thing about his more than two decade old band, how they combined some of power pop's prettiest melodies with blisteringly loud guitar distortion. The song in question, the single "Hang On" from 1994, starts in a firestorm of feedbacky soloing, then resolves into a verse that has some of the Byrd's knack for easy, closely harmonized tunefulness.


Read the rest


“Baby Lee”

4 comments:

Ian said...

I love love love these guys. Looking forward to reading the interview!

jenniferpkelly said...

Oh, yeah, I knew you were a fan. I think we talked about this once before. Do you like the new album?

Ian said...

I haven't listened to it yet. The backlog is so long... email too, I know I owe you at least one (sorry!).

jenniferpkelly said...

no hurry. i've been pretty busy, too. re: shadows.i like it okay, but not as much as the old stuff