Monday, October 19, 2009

Fuck Buttons

Here I go embarrassing my kid again with my filthy mouth. Not my fault this time, it’s the band name. Their new album Tarot Sport out now-ish on the All Tomorrow’s Parties label.

Thanks, Simon, for the heads up on this band. Also, thanks Arjun for pointing out that the review was live. I wasn’t expecting this one to run until tomorrow.

With this second full-length, Fuck Buttons continue to move from noise to transcendent raves. Their early singles may have sounded like a less abrasive Black Dice, but Tarot Sport calls upon the beat-driven, spiritually-enflamed techno a la Moby and Underworld. Even the album name hints at Fuck Buttons’ volatile combination of mysticism and sweatiness. Here, glistening swaths of synthesized other-ness are punctuated by the driving, drum-machine pulse of vigorous exertion. (read the rest here.)

2 comments:

francksauzee said...

Nice review Jenny, "Rough Steez" is a fantastic song. The new one didn't knock me over quite as much as "Street Horrsing" but then I'm more of a noise man than a raver ..

jenniferpkelly said...

Thanks, Simon. It's a little sheeny and plasticky for me, too, didn't hate it, but just didn't sign up for a life membership.