Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pink Mountaintops

This happens once in a while…I got bored with Pink Mountaintops before I really had much to say about it. It wasn’t that it was painful listening to it or I hated it or anything like that…I just didn’t have much of a reaction.

That, of course, didn’t mean I was off the hook for reviewing it.Here’s a bit from my review at Dusted.

Last time out, reviewing Pink Mountaintops’ Axis of Evol, Dusted’s Emerson Dameron described a much improved, more consistent effort, “the first record [Stephen McBean has] made that can be heard front-to-back, repeatedly, without losing most of its shine.” Outside Love, two years later, is another solid effort with a handful of quite good songs – and only a few embarrassing ones. It’s also the record that lifts McBean’s lo-fi Black Mountain side project out of its home-recorded, self-referential box. A good half of these songs are fully, even elaborately arranged, with big booming drums, piano, strings and backup singers.


More:


“Vampire”

No comments: