Thursday, January 10, 2013

Steven Cerio's Magnificant Pigtail Shadow

I've been listening to the soundtrack from Steven Cerio's The Magnificent Pigtail Shadow a good bit lately, the musical accompaniment to what looks like a very trippy movie, conceived by Cerio and narrated by Kristen Hersh. My friend Michael Duane (he of Dustdevils and Dustdevil and Crow) plays some guitar on it...it's a kind of shimmery, mysterious, atmospheric thing, very pretty but hard to get a real grip on. (I'm thinking that the narration probably makes more sense in the context of the film.)

Anyway, I found the trailer for the movie online and thought I'd post it.


Cerio teaches at Syracuse now, though he is best known, musically, for his long-time collaboration with the Residents. He has played drums for a lot of interesting bands and artists -- Dee Dee Ramone’s Sprocket, Railroad Jerk and Drunktank on record and live with Jad Fair (Half Japanese), Ron Asheton (Stooges), William Parker and Jemeel Moondoc. He's the main force behind Atlantic Drone (which Michael is also involved with and which sounds very similar to this soundtrack.

6 comments:

Syd The Squid said...

XXX...

it is a bit meandering... the film is quite moving...

jenniferpkelly said...

Hah, I know where Syd Barrett lives.

(hi!)

Syd The Squid said...

hee... yes!... i changed the name when i was going to do a blog about my dog, never got round to it... he does have his own facebook page though!

http://www.facebook.com/sydthesquiddog

jenniferpkelly said...

I can't believe your dog has Facebook and I don't. Does he like Spotify? (I had a dog named Spot when I was young, and he would have...)

Syd The Squid said...

he HATE's spotify... he says the sound quality is just too poor to deal with it... he wants to bite its throat...

jenniferpkelly said...

Of course, your dog is an audiophile. How could I have imagined otherwise?

Happy Saturday!