Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Holy Other

This post-year-end couple of weeks, I've been listening to stuff that I couldn't possibly review -- and enjoying the hell out of some of it.  Okay, so I'm going to leave it to you to decide whether Holy Other is witch house or dubstep or some chilly variant on R&B...I don't know.  I don't care much.  It's ominous and subdued and vaguely inhumane, but i like it.   I also like the BBC review of Held, especially this second-to-last paragraph.

"These are bass ballads for clubs where everyone sits around wearing headphones luxuriating in their own private misery. The tracks are instrumental but there are voices everywhere, cut up and tweaked or stretched out, leaving echoes of silence. Inpouring is typical of Held’s abstract quiet-storm funk with its aching keyboard chords and pitch-shifted vocals adding to the aural fog."
 


I've been experimenting with Elance and thinking that I don't really mind working for free -- or for very little money -- when it's for a noncommercial site like Dusted.  But I'll be damned if I'll write five 500 word articles a week for blog farms at $10 each. 


 


No comments: