Thursday, September 4, 2008

Alan Sparhawke speaks...Mogwai takes a whiz

Ian Mathers at PopMatters interviewed Alan Sparhawke about his Retribution Gospel Choir project, one of my favorites for 2008...and since I don't have anything of my own to talk about, and since the record is so good and so under the radar, I thought I'd give you a pointer to this very interesting piece.

"My Head Is Filled With Fire": A Conversation With Retribution Gospel Choir's Alan Sparhawk

[4 September 2008]

Alan Sparhawk gives back what he's taken, but that's not to say he's not holding onto his hope and wit.by Ian Mathers

"Ben [Watt] from Everything But the Girl once told me that he thinks there is no such thing as a definitive version of a song. At the time, that went against everything I believed about songwriting, but since then I've slowly found that he may be right. Having some songs overlap perhaps defines the difference more than the similarity. The tone and dynamics (and volume) of Retribution Gospel Choir certainly make certain songs jump out a certain way. I'm singing about the same stuff I've always sung about, but through a different filter, or language. It's hard to explain. The less I think about it, the more the music just finds its place." (For more)

Also, a fairly entertaining "leak" of upcoming reviews from the Mogwai site...tongue in cheek, I believe. (All kinds of things in cheek, actually.)

I'm trying to review the record myself, but there's no way I'll be able to top a quote like, "This music is so good, I want to piss in its mouth.”

No comments: